D. Min with Concentration in Christian Counseling D. Min with Concentration in Mission Studies D. Min with Concentration in Christian Education D. Min with Concentration in Pastoral Theology Doctor of Church Music Doctor of Christian Leadership
> 학과안내 > 학위과정  

Academic Information


Undergraduate Students : Those students holding a high school diploma or equivalent from a recognized institution and working toward a Bachelor of Religion degree.

Graduate Students : Those students holding a previously earned college degree and working toward a graduate degree.

Special Students : Those students taking courses of their own choosing for credits but are not following a regular course of study.

Auditors : Those students are attending classes but seeking no credits.

Part-Time Students: Those students maintaining a semester of academic work of six hours or fewer.

Full-Time Students :
  - Bachelor students must maintain a semester pace of academic work at 12-21 credit hours per semester.
  - Masters students must maintain a semester pace of academic work at 9-18 credit hours per semester.
  - Doctoral students must maintain a semester pace of academic work at 9-12 credit hours per semester.


Midwest University offers the following teaching methods:

On-campus courses
  These courses are conventional, face-to-face courses in a classroom setting on main campus and Washington D. C. site. Each course meets weekly for 15 weeks in the fall or spring semester.

E-learning courses
  E-learning courses are accomplished via the Internet through CAMS. Most courses are 15 weeks in length, with some being 8 weeks.

Blended courses
  Blended courses provide students an opportunity to complete courses through a combination of classroom and E-learning work. Each course will consist of intensive seminar work and the remainder of the course will be completed by E-learning.

Independent Studies
  Independent Studies may be defined as study which is under the direct supervision of an appropriate faculty member but is not done in conjunction with a regularly scheduled class. Independent Study request will generally be approved only if the course is required for graduation and is not going to be offered on a regular scheduled prior to graduation.


Midwest University believes that all students are fully responsible for attendance policies and requirements indicated in each course syllabus. Attendance, in courses for academic credit, is mandatory. Each student should recognize that many vital educational experiences at the University cannot be fully realized when class attendance is irregular. As a general rule, students are expected to attend all class sessions of every course. While each instructor is responsible for her/his own course attendance policies, students who are absent for more than three (3) hours in an intensive-course and six (6) hours in a semester course will be recommended for possible disciplinary action including a potential failing grade for the course. Tardiness of more than 10 minutes counts as on hour of absence. In the event of unavoidable absences, the student is responsible for contacting the instructor and is responsible for the completion of all missed course assignments.

The instructor may give advanced written warning to a student for excessive absences and report to the Registrar. The instructor will consult with the Academic Dean regarding students who may become subject to academic penalties for incomplete or unacceptable make-up work or for excessive or unexcused absences. Midwest University, through the Office of Academic Affairs, reserves the right to involuntarily remove enrolled students from classes when course attendance policies are not followed.


Adding a Course : After consulting with, and receiving written approval from, the academic advisor, students desiring to add a course or courses will deliver the Course Addition Form to the Office of the Registrar. After financial requirements have been met through the Finance Office, documentation will be sent to the Office of the Registrar who will complete the enrollment requirements. The deadline for adding a course is two weeks after the start date of the semester.

Dropping a Course : Students must notify the Office of the Registrar and fill out necessary withdrawal forms. The University has a refund policy for courses that are dropped with the approval of the Registrar. The contact date with the Registrar office determines the basis of the pro-rata refund. The refund based on a pro-rata portion of the tuition with a withdrawal date that is on or before the forty percent (40%) point in the period of enrollment.

Withdrawal from a Course : After the drop period, a student may withdraw from a regular semester or e-learning course without complete withdrawal from the university. In such cases, the student should request withdrawal from the course by submitting a class withdrawal form to the Registrar. The student will receive a grade of “W” for the class.


An "I" grade will remain for one semester immediately following semester during which the student made such a grade, and will be automatically changed to an "F" if the required academic work(s) is/are incomplete as contracted with the instructor.

The significance of letter grades is as follows :

Graduate A A- B+ B B- C+ C C- D F
96-100 90-95 86-89 82-85 78-81 74-77 70-73 66-69 60-65 0-59
Points 4.00 3.75 3.25 3.00 2.75 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.00 0.00

The following symbols are also used on the transcript :

No Credit Withdrew Incomplete Audited Course Pass


A student must take at least 12 credit hours per semester to be considered a full-time undergraduate student. The maximum credit hours that an undergraduate student can take per semester (including term) are 21 credit hours. A full-time master level student must take at least 9 credit hours per semester. The maximum credit hours that a master level student can take per semester (including term) are 18 credit hours. A full-time doctoral student must take at least 9 credit hours per semester. The maximum credit hours that a doctoral student can take per semester (including term) are 12 credit hours. A semester load of more than maximum credit hours of each program requires permission from the Academic Dean.


Undergraduate students must maintain the minimum of a cumulative 2.0 in all academic work. Graduate students must maintain the minimum of a cumulative 3.0 GPA in all academic work. If not, they shall be suspended for academic reasons.

The office of Academic Records and Registrar will notify the student whose cumulative GPA is below an expected level. Such a student may take any number of credit hours for the following semester, but is required to rectify as soon as possible to an acceptable level, no later than within one semester. The student who is unable to earn a GPA of the expected level for two consecutive semesters shall be suspended for the minimum of one semester. Once suspended, the student may re-apply for probationary admission.


A student desiring to withdraw from the University is required to notify the Office of Academic Records and Registrar and fill out necessary withdrawal forms. When the student wishes to re-enroll, he/she is expected to file readmission forms through the Office of Admissions and to follow the whole admission process thereafter.


Former students seeking readmission after an absence of one or more years are required to apply for readmission, which is the same as the original application for admission. The student who has been placed on academic suspension is eligible to apply for probationary readmission only after one semester has passed.


Residency is defined as classes taken at Midwest University either on campus or on-line. Bachelor and Master-level students, who are not international students, may complete their degree through E-learning courses. Doctoral students are required to pass a 3 credit hour dissertation research seminar course at the Wentzville campus or the Washington D.C site. In special cases, the course could be taken through e-learning.

To complete their program, the students should take the minimum credit hours at Midwest University as follows:

Bachelor of Religion in Biblical Studies, Christian Education 60
Master of Religion in Christian Counseling, Christian Education, and Church Music 24
Master of Mission Language in TESOL 27
Master of Divinity 48
Doctor of Ministry 30


Transfer credit is accepted from accredited institutions of higher learning for subjects appropriate to the curricula of the Midwest University programs. All applicants who have attended other colleges or universities must submit all official original transcripts to the admissions office. In addition to the transcript, it is sometimes necessary to provide a catalog, course descriptions, or other documentation from the former college or university to help determine the content and applicability of a class. The Admissions Committee will evaluate the transcript and award applicable transfer credit(s).

Note: Transcript evaluations will not be completed until application has been made to Midwest University and all transcripts received. Credit will only be considered for "C" grades or above.

Provisional credit may be granted from certain unaccredited institutions. Provisional credit will be fully accepted after an evaluation of the unaccredited institution, evaluation of the coursework for the courses under consideration, and successful completion by the student of 24 semester hours of work at Midwest University with a minimum 3.0 GPA.

In Midwest University, “accredited” means that the school is listed as accredited in the current issue of Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education published by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation or approved by the Ministry of Education for the Republic of Korea and/or other countries.

Maximum allowable transfer credits are as follows:

Bachelor 63
Master 24
M.Div. 48
Master of Mission Languages 9
D.Min. 9
Copyright ⓒ 2007 MIDWEST UNIVERSITY | Tel (636)327-4645 (ext.100) | usa@midwest.edu | Contact Us